Distinguished Teacher of The Year
Nominations for the Glenbrook South Parents Association Distinguished Teacher Award shall be submitted by completing the 2023 online nomination form available from Monday, February 20, 2023, through Friday, March 17, 2023.
Only teachers whose main assignment is classroom instruction are eligible for nomination for this award. Instructional Supervisors are not eligible.
The criteria listed below should serve only as guidelines to the nominator(s). They will be the primary basis upon which the nominees will be judged by the screening committee. However, other information that the nominator feels may be important to the committee in evaluating the nominee should be included. Specific information is more helpful to the committee than general impressions of the nominator(s).
CRITERIA ON WHICH THE AWARD WILL BE BASED
Petitions should recommend nominees based on the following criteria:
- Has a comprehensive knowledge of his/her field.
- Effectively organizes and presents the subject matter in a way that makes sense to students.
- Stimulates thinking and develops understanding by challenging students’ intellect and arousing students’ interest; inspires a lifelong passion for learning.
- Makes good use of available human and material resources.
- Provides assistance to students in solving their individual and group problems.
- Participates in worthy student and community affairs.
- Participates and contributes to the teaching profession through activities in professional societies and other professional organizations.
- Contributes to the improvement and development of GBS.
- Collaborates within GBS and across the profession locally and nationally.
- A teacher whose primary assignment is classroom instruction.
- A teacher whose career includes a minimum of 10 years at GBS.
- A teacher who has not previously won the Distinguished Teacher Award.
The following are the recipients of the Distinguished Teacher Award from past years. They are not eligible to receive the honor again!
|1984||Anthony Calabrese||Physical Education|
|1985||Ronald “Doc” Rank||Science|
|1986||Susan Salay||World Language|
|1987||Howard Romanek||Social Studies|
|1988||Dr. William Schnell||Music|
|1990||David Pasquini||Social Studies|
|1991||Mary Frances Crabtree||World Language|
|1992||O. L. “Doc” Mutchmore||Mathematics|
|1994||John Davis||Physical Education|
|1995||Terry Jozwik||Social Studies|
|1996||Ruby Allen||Special Education|
|1997||Dr. Jay Amberg||English|
|1998||Clem Germanier||Applied Technology|
|2002||Mary Zuccarello||Special Education|
|2003||Ben Hussmann||Social Studies|
|2004||Dave Hill||Applied Technology|
|2005||Danita Fitch||World Language|
|2008||Hilary Rosenthal||Social Studies|
|2009||Steven Weissenstein||Business Education|
|2011||Dr. Daniel Oswald||Broadcasting|
|2013||John Meyer||Social Studies|
|2014||Mary Ann Ericksen||Science|
|2016||Matthew Whipple||Social Studies|
|2018||Yasuko Makita-Discekici||World Language|
|2021||David Kane||Social Studies|
|2022||Daniel Zapler||Social Studies|
Only teachers whose main assignment is classroom instruction are eligible for this award.