Tryouts for the Boys Soccer Team will begin on Monday, August 8, 2022. Freshmen tryouts' will occur from 9-11:30 a.m. on the grass fields, and non-freshmen tryouts' will occur from 3-6 p.m. in the stadium. Tryouts will continue through the rest of the week, with the non-freshmen team rosters being announced on Wednesday, August 10, 2022, and the freshmen team roster being announced on Thursday, August 11, 2022. A full schedule of tryout schedule can be downloaded below.
During tryouts, players' fitness will be assessed using the following method.
- Freshmen | 5 in 7 Test (Assessing Endurance)
- This test is performed on a full-length soccer field.
- Players start at one corner of the soccer field and have seven minutes to run five full laps around the soccer field.
- Non-Freshmen | 120's Interval Test (Assessing Endurance & Recovery)
- The test is performed on a full-length soccer field. Players start on one goal line and will have 18 seconds to sprint and reach the opposite goal line (120 yards away) upon the coach's whistle. Their recovery will be a 42-second jog back to the starting goal line before their next 18-second sprint begins. This process will repeat nine more times for 10 sprints in 10 minutes.
- Unlike in previous years, no additional rest breaks will be given during the ten sprint series.
- Players are expected to pass the ten sprints without going over the allowed time for both the full-field sprint and the 42-second recovery jog back.
- Any players who fail the test (unable to keep up with the time allotments) will stop and stand at the goal-line as other players continue the test.
Coach Lara just finished his fifth season as the head coach of the boys’ soccer program. In his five years, the Titans have won 2 Regional Championships and have amassed an overall record of 52 wins, 30 losses, and 23 ties. He joined the GBS boys’ coaching staff originally as the sophomore coach and goalkeeper coach for the program in 2016. He also has served as the Varsity assistant coach for the GBS girls soccer program since 2014. In his previous coaching stints, Coach Lara was the Varsity head coach at Notre Dame HS in Niles, IL from 2012-2014. Before Notre Dame, he was the varsity girls’ soccer coach at Olympia High School (Stanford, IL) in 2010.