Seal of Biliteracy
Glenbrook South is proud to offer the State Seal of Biliteracy to qualifying students who demonstrate a high level of proficiency in English as well as another language.
What is the Seal of Biliteracy?
The State Seal is an award given to high school graduates that appears as a seal on their diploma and is included on the official transcript to certify that the student is biliterate in English and one or more languages. A biliterate person can read, write, speak, and understand another language in addition to English at the Intermediate High level of proficiency.
Why is the State Seal of Biliteracy valuable?
Benefits of this recognition include, but are not limited to:
- Distinguishing one’s resume and college application (Article: “Learning a Foreign Language helps kids think and make money”);
- Sharing one’s proficiency level for scholarship & career opportunities;
- Earning college credit; Illinois law requires Illinois state universities to award credit;
- Understanding one’s proficiency level in order to set advanced language goals; and
- Speaking more than one language improves cognitive function across the board, from planning and working memory to concentration and multitasking. (Source: New Scientist)
Which languages are approved for 2021-2022?
The languages with the option for this recognition are based on the availability of assessments currently approved by the Illinois State Board of Education: Arabic, ASL, Bulgarian*, French, German, Greek*, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Thai.
*These languages are not tested at GBS. Please contact us for more info at firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on ISBE approved proficiency assessments in American Sign Language and Bulgarian, please contact the World Languages Department. For information on the Ellinomatheia exam in Greek, contact Mrs. Tassi (email@example.com) at the Hellenic American Academy in Deerfield or view the test information on this website.
How do I qualify for the State Seal?
Students who meet the following criteria will be awarded the State Seal of Biliteracy:
STAMP Online Practice
Students should use the practice tests and review the exam topics in order to be best prepared for success on the STAMP exam.
- STAMP Online Practice (Note: You must complete reading to “unlock” writing test and you must complete listening to “unlock” speaking test.)
- Review the STAMP user guide for suggestions to achieve intermediate-high ratings in speaking and writing
Please contact the GBS WL Department for more information or email firstname.lastname@example.org