Two Important Dates in January for Incoming Freshmen
We invite you to join us on Thursday, January 18, 2018
for an information session at 7:00 pm in the Watson Auditorium followed by an elective fair at 8:00 pm in the West Cafeteria. It may be hard for you to believe, but in a little less than eight months your son or daughter will be with us at Glenbrook South High School. We are already hard at work preparing for a smooth transition for the students and for you!
This will be your first opportunity to learn about the curriculum at Glenbrook South High School. The evening is designed for both parents and students, and it will focus on general information about the course placemen process and elective offerings. Instructional Supervisors will not be prepared to discuss specific student placement on this night.
Immediately following the information session, we encourage parents and students to join us at an elective fair where you will have the opportunity to explore the wide variety of elective courses at GBS.
We also invite you and your student to the Activities and Athletics Fair on Wednesday, January 31, 2018
at 7:00 pm. This evening will begin in the GBS Fieldhouse. You and your student will have an opportunity to explore various clubs, activities, and sports. We know from experience and from research that students who participate in these extracurricular opportunities are more successful in the classroom.
These two evenings will be the beginning of several events that will occur prior to the beginning of the fall semester to help acquaint your student with the high school. We encourage all incoming freshmen to attend these events as a way to gather important information and ensure they are comfortable from the start of their journey through GBS.
Welcome Class of 2022!
STEM Opportunities at GBS
- Interested in the Science and Engineering Learning Community and other STEM options available to incoming freshmen? Find out about these opportunities by attending the "STEM Opportunities Information Session" on January 18th at 6:15 pm in the GBS Lyceum, before the main program begins.
GBS Saturday Elective Workshops
- Saturday, January 27th. Register by end of day January 22nd. Class of 2022 Future Titans are invited to sign up for two workshops to explore elective courses. Register here
Understanding the #MeToo Movement: How to Talk with Teens about Sexual Harassment and Abuse
7:00 pm, Wednesday, March 14th, GBS Lyceum
Cases of sexual harassment and abuse continue to be exposed in the news, highlighting the prevalence of this behavior in our society. Join fellow parents to learn more about these issues and how to talk to your children about them. Glenview Detective Jamie Medina will define the terms harassment and assault, and discuss the legal implications of each. Lizzy Appleby, Youth Program Manager at Glenview Youth Services, will discuss the social and emotional implications, and how to inform and support children. There will be a Q&A session after the presentations. The event is open to GBS parents and parents of incoming GBS freshmen.
Pages to Explore and Bookmark on the GBS Website
- Incoming Freshmen - Resources for the Class of 2022 including the schedule of registration events, forms, requirements and more.
- Calendar - Access to the GBS School Calendar, Athletics Calendar, and District Calendar.
- Parents - General parent information, links, and resources, including registration, food services, transportation, parent organizations, parent communications and more.
- Students - Daily announcements, general student information, links, and resources, including bell schedules, student services, academic resources and more.